Connect with us

I come to you cap in hand :(

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Finalreminder, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Finalreminder

Finalreminder

Aug 30, 2012
    Guys, I really need your help, I've given up on the vehicle forums.

I own a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 Diesel.
    There is a very common problem with this engine in that the car is absolutely terrible at cold starts.
    Everything that can be replaced has been replaced, including the glow plugs.
    I've found that if I disconnect the coolant temperature sender plug from the thermostat that the glow plugs stay on for longer and the car starts fine. The sender is new, and it made no difference. The glow plug relay is new, the battery is new, the starter motor is new, the list goes on, so much new stuff.

Is there a 'hack' I can do to that circuit to fool the ECU into keeping the glowplugs on for longer? An inline resistor or something?
    I apologise, but my knowledge of electronics is next to none existent, I'm not even sure how that circuit works. I can solder and follow idiot-instructions, but that's about it.

Helping me will help Vauxhall owners everywhere. We're all sick of this problem.

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    I think the most common fix for this problem with diesel engines is to place a heating pad (like something for muscle pain) that plugs in on the engine to warm it up for a while before starting, you would just have to place it somewhere where it wont get pulled in by anything moving and you would have to remove it after the engine has been started

3. Finalreminder

Finalreminder

Aug 30, 2012
    See that's a problem. I want to sell the car and I can't do that until I fix this problem in some way. I can't ask a new owner to do that, hence the glowplug hack. I can see where you're coming from though

4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    its not a problem with that specific car, ALL diesel engines need time to warm up, most larger diesel vehicles (buses/trucks) have a cable that goes under the hood so they can be plugged in overnight so in the morning they can start right up
    You should notify them that it is a diesel and that means they have to warm it up when starting it on cold days

5. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    A time delay relay providing an alternative supply to the glow plugs may do.
    Glow plugs take a lot of current so the relay will need to be fat enough to cope. The wires will also have to be substantial and , of course, you will need a beefy battery.

You could energise the existing relay but this may affect the ECU - not a good thing.

6. Finalreminder

Finalreminder

Aug 30, 2012
    A time delay relay?
    Can you recommend a model to me that would do the job?
    I'm guessing this would be independent from the glow plug relay?

7. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    I do not have details of delay relays. What I have seen in an old RS catalogue is that they are expensive. Auto relays are much cheaper and could be delayed with a simple circuit.

You could do some investigation of the car wiring and relay details.

8. Finalreminder

Finalreminder

Aug 30, 2012
    Looked at a site called Farnells and the time delay relay types are mind boggling.
    I think I need to find an electronics geek to help out an IT geek lol

Ask a Question