Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I can't seem to figure out the component from this schematic

marc11657

Oct 23, 2013
Has anybody got an idea what this component could be???????????
schematic.jpg

I'm sure it's something very obvious!

Thanks in advance!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi
welcome to the forums :)

they are all the heater elements ( filaments) for the vacuum tubes ( valves)
~ 6V is a very common filament voltage

The whole line from V101 to V204 are ALL filaments
look up and you will see another 2 sets of them off another transformer

cheers
Dave

marc11657

Oct 23, 2013
Hi Again,

I've spent some time searching the net to try and learn about heater elements. I can't seem to work out exactly the sort I am after and how I would go about installing them into a point to point circuit.

Am I being really thick?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
It's a vacuum tube circuit.
Those are the heaters to the tubes (all signified by the 'V' prefix).
They're just shown all together for electrical contact purposes.
You don't need to go out and buy 'heaters', the ones in your schematic are just all
of the heaters to the vacuum tubes in your circuit, shown for your convenience.

marc11657

Oct 23, 2013
Aha! So I was being thick!

To clarify those heaters are the filaments that are physically inside the tubes that can be found around the rest of the schematic?

Cheers!

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Look. Maybe you need to google some info about how a vacuum tube works.
The 'heater' is the element inside the tube that you visually see 'light-up' when the tube is powered-on.
If I remember my terminology from 35 years ago, the 'Cathode or Emitter' is the element in the tube, which 'boils-off' electrons, (the electron conduction through the tube).
Your heaters in your schematic are shown, tied together, that are fed voltage to heat-up. (They show this so you can see the wiring for heater power).
The heaters are not again shown inside the tube visual representation. What you see
inside the tube representation, is that 'Cathode', that starts boiling-off the electrons to conduct through the tube, AFTER THE HEATER, HEATS UP THE CATHODE.
Heaters are directly powered to produce heat The oxide-coated Cathode can be a coating on the heating element, or a oxide coated surface surrounding the heating element.
The heaters are not shown twice on the schematic.
They're not a part of the tube electron conduction process.
Just the parts of the tube responsible for the main circuit operation are shown for that.
The heater just heats-up the Cathode, whose oxide coating is then boiled-off to conduct current through the tube to make the circuit function.
Heater (Shown separately) JUST heats-up the Cathode (Shown in the schematic tube
representation. Then the Cathode boils off electrons for tube conduction.
Did I confuse you worse than you were?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
There are sixteen heaters shown for sixteen tubes.

V301 GZ34 shows the heater inside the tube under the cathode. This tube has a separate heater feed since the heater is at the high tension potential. Other tubes will have the heaters insulated from the cathodes with one side connected to ground.