Connect with us

I ask a never seen electronic part.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Johnny Lee, Oct 31, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Johnny Lee

Johnny Lee

Oct 31, 2016
    To Whom It May Concern,

I ask a never seen electronic part in laser pulser.

What is a part type or name in RED Circle ?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

asksomething.png

2. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Could be a 4.7 ohm power resistor. Have you tried measuring its resistance with a multimeter?

davenn likes this.
  3. Johnny Lee

Johnny Lee

Oct 31, 2016
    Yes, you right, But I don't know below side part of seems like capacitor..
    asksomething2.png

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    maybe capacitors, too difficult to tell from that pic

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    These could also be gas discharge tubes (GDT) for overvoltage protection. As Dave wrote: difficult to tell.

hevans1944 and shrtrnd like this.
  6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Harald identified them (again).
    Jeez that guy is good.
    They're very common in the older Hewlett Packard test and measurement instruments I work on.

7. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Could you tell us what kind of laser pulser you are examining? Is it a commercial laser diode pulser? Does it use a transistor operating in avalanche mode? What are you trying to do with your laser pulser? Optical radar (LIDAR) perhaps? Fiber optical communications? Please tell us what you are trying to DO?

Attached is some background information (somewhat dated now, but still a good read) on using a transistor in avalanche mode to obtain fast rising, narrow, optical pulses from a diode laser for use in a laser-ranging application. Bottom line appears to be you have to carefully select from any given lot of transistors the ones that have the proper characteristics for avalanche-mode operation. I would hope that some progress has been made since this paper was published to allow purchase of transistors specifically made for this purpose.

Attached Files:

bushtech and Harald Kapp like this.
  8. Johnny Lee

Johnny Lee

Oct 31, 2016
    Thank for all. I tried NDYAG Laser pulser in test lab. So, I try benchmark other countries products in my school. thanks again.

Ask a Question