Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I am having trouble with an intercom system can some one help

autogate

Nov 8, 2013
Hi

I installed a swan intercom system and it has two outputs one to release a pedestrian gate and the other to open a sliding gate.

normally these outputs are normally open and closed circuit when you press the button.
the sliding gate button works correctly and i can open and close the sliding gate but the other button seems to have a different output not allowing me to open the electronic latch on the pedestrian gate.

I have checked the output directly out of the intercom unit with a multimeter and I get 0.56Volts normally and 0V when you press the button.

does anyone know how to convert this signal into a normally open contact that closes when the button is pressed?

I have tried talking to Swan about the issues but the call center staff do understand the problem.

I hope some one can help

thanks

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
If the output from the intercom system is a normally open contact that closes to activate the latch on the pedestrian gate, you need to measure resistance across the terminals on the intercom, not voltage.

You should measure open circuit (often indicated as OL on the multimeter), the same as what you measure with the probes not touching anything. When you press the button at the other end, the meter should read a short circuit - one ohm or less.

If your multimeter has a continuity test beeper option you can use that too. It should beep while the button is held down.

You could also try exchanging the connections to the sliding gate and the pedestrian gate at the intercom. If you find that the sliding gate works (using the other button) but the pedestrian gate still doesn't work, the problem is not in the intercom.

Have you connected the intercom's contact outputs straight to the latch on the pedestrian gate? If so, that won't work; you need a power source that's suited to the gate latch. The contacts on the intercom just complete a circuit; they do not generate a voltage to activate the latch.