Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HV Fly Back Trans driven with 555, NEON lite crowbar ?

wannabegeek

Aug 17, 2011
Hi all,

I'm taking a break from my other Boost circuit project to revisit an older related one.

I have a working 555 driven Flyback transformer from a computer CRT Monitor.
I get decent arc, enough to fart around with.

The back EMF has destroyed parts in the past, so now I use a power diode I found in the CRT when I took the Flyback out. I'll have to go and look at the numbers on it.

I don't really believe that the power diode it can protect the power supply from 5kV back EMF, but I leave it there any ways.

Recently I have been playing around with some neon light bulbs I was given a while back. I wanted to make a strobe light with my Boost circuit. I read how people have use these neon lights as crow bars to protect against surges.

So, I put my neon tube after my power diode and short it with ground. The idea I have, is that is doesn't short the power to ground, b/c power in is about 5-10 V. But, when EMF is coming back from the primary on the Flyback, it goes to the neon light and ground, keeping the HV away from the power supply.

I tried it and I see the neon tube glow as soon as the input power is high enough to start the resonance and HV effect.

Does this actually work the way I think ?

Cheers and TIA !

wbg

PS I'll get a schematic up soon and some relevant part numbers.