Connect with us

hp 8657A Signal Generator, N-Connector + SR-Cable

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by attersee, Feb 25, 2013.

1. attersee

attersee

Feb 2, 2013
    I got an old hp 8657A Signal Generator (SYS 8953XT, SER 3131A00104, Option 2 “Rear Panel RF Output”) recently, but unfortunately the semi-rigid cable connecting the attenuator-output with the F-Connector (RF Output) has been damaged.

My idea is to seize the opportunity and modify it, by moving the RF output to the front panel. Preferably I would like to do that with original hp parts. But here the problem starts.

I hope that somebody in the community has an old defective unit and can offer to me the parts (private message) needed for the change. If I understand the service manual correctly, then I would need these two items:

- hp Part-No 08657-61006 9, SEMI-RIGID CABLE 2.18 SMA-NONE
    - hp Part-No 5061-5386 0 , CONN ASSY TYPE N
    -
    I think that the two parts are directly connected with an SMA-connector.
    Thanks for helping.

rgds, Johann

2. woodchips

woodchips

Feb 8, 2013
    Just use pattern parts from a reputable electronics parts supplier, cable doesn't look to be anything special.

Bob

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Try Googleing Used Test Equipment vendors in your area.
    We have a lot of them in the States. They frequently have no problem salvaging
    parts from scrap units they're trying to make some money from.
    Just a thought.

4. attersee

attersee

Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks for responding / helping to both of you.

@ Shrtrnd: Unfortunately, it seems not to be easy to get these parts form Used Test Equipment vendors. Up to now I asked the more established vendors here, but they argue they can’t sell especially these parts. They need it for themselves, because frequently they have to move RF-Outputs from the rear side to the front panel (as I want to do) with the hp 865x generators. But I don’t give up. I will continue Googleing.

@ Bob: This is my fall back strategy of course, but I am not sure how to make it correctly. It confuses me, that the piece of the semi-rigid cable connected to the attenuator (with the SMA on the other end) has a 15 mm gap in the shielding. This gap has definitely been made intentionally by HP. But possibly this cable is a (wrong) displacement out of another hp instrument. Conclusion: A PHOTO of the open unit, showing the attenuator and the semi-rigid cable, would be very helpful to me. Probably, there is somebody in the forum who has a suitable photo available.
    Unfortunately I cannot see this detail in (the PDF copy of) the Service Manual. The cable in my box is broken, the male SMA has no pin anymore and probably it is not the original part at all.

Regards,

Johann

Ask a Question