Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How would you build this?

av84doh

Oct 12, 2010
Hello, this is a very simple project but I need help in how to put it together. Should a circuit board be used? Or, can I just solder the parts together as in the diagram with wire? It is used on a boat in the engine compartment so everything has to be insulated well. Should there be some sort of enclosure or just use shrink tubing over the components? Thanks very much,
Rob

Attachments

• diodefix.pdf
    48 KB · Views: 276

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hello, this is a very simple project but I need help in how to put it together. Should a circuit board be used? Or, can I just solder the parts together as in the diagram with wire? It is used on a boat in the engine compartment so everything has to be insulated well. Should there be some sort of enclosure or just use shrink tubing over the components? Thanks very much,
Rob

what sort of voltages are you putting through this unit ?

If under ~ 100 odd volts, my suggestion would be a small plastic project (jiffy) box and wire the components between the input and output terminals on either end of the box and a ground terminal on one side of the box. No need for a cct board :)

The mounting in a plastic box would provide the insulation as well as some vibration protection

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Using a small PCB would make it mechanically more reliable. you could also use veroboard, or even matrix board. All will restrict movement of the component leads and therefore the soldered joints.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Me, I'd just solder the parts & wires in-line, paint some varnish on the joints, and then put (clear) heat-shrink tubing (w/ internal glue) on the whole thing.
One aspect to keep in mind though is that the tube thing will only stand up to being bent a limited number of times so mount it in a protected spot/way.

av84doh

Oct 12, 2010
what sort of voltages are you putting through this unit ?

If under ~ 100 odd volts, my suggestion would be a small plastic project (jiffy) box and wire the components between the input and output terminals on either end of the box and a ground terminal on one side of the box. No need for a cct board :)

The mounting in a plastic box would provide the insulation as well as some vibration protection

Dave

It will only be 12 volts. It's part of an ignition system in a boat. It will make the electronic shift assist assembly operate correctly after changing to an electronic ignition (from points).