Connect with us

How would I couple the output from an oscillator to an antenna?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by hilo890, Jun 2, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. hilo890

hilo890

Jun 2, 2011
    I am using a 1 MHz crystal in a colpitts oscillator circuit. I have no idea how to couple the output into an antenna though.

2. poor mystic

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi there Hilo! :)
    The "ARRL Handbook" is all about this problem, which is too complex to be adequately addressed in a post. You could become a ham operator, which process involves learning such things, and then you woud have the support of the local club. That is if your project is legal.
    I'd be a bit surprised if it is legal though because 1MHz is what we once called 1000kHz and is smack in the middle of the commercially valuable MW band, which requires special licensing in most countries.

3. hilo890

hilo890

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks! I was only planning on experimenting with the crystal I had at 1 MHz at a range of only a few feet, to try and avoid getting in trouble with the FCC. >.> If all goes well though, I was going to get a new crystal that operates at 3.5 MHz or so. I'll check out about that handbook! :D

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    well for a few feet of operation, just hang a metre of wire off the output pin of the osc. easy as that :) ideal test osc. just keep in mind that 1MHz is in the middle of the
    AM broadcast band and ya dont wanna upset all your neighbours

have fun

Dave

PS do you have a ham licence to operate on 3.5 MHz ? its pretty easy getting into ham radio these days. no morse code requirement any more and then you can experiment to your heart's content.
    Something I have been doing for 30+ years been a lot of fun and a great way to further your electronics skills :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
Ask a Question