Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to yield sound from one jack plug to another

Iamtokebi

Jul 16, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have two computers that I use simultaneously,, sometimes I use audio for one and some other times from the other mac, but I have to disconnect the jack plug and connect it to the other one every single time. I want to make a switch that I can turn off and on simply to move the sound.

I want to do it as simply as possible. The jack plug is connected to an old audio system I modified to be a sound amplifier .

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have two computers that I use simultaneously,, sometimes I use audio for one and some other times from the other mac, but I have to disconnect the jack plug and connect it to the other one every single time. I want to make a switch that I can turn off and on simply to move the sound.

I want to do it as simply as possible. The jack plug is connected to an old audio system I modified to be a sound amplifier .
Lost of solutions:
-Solution A) Get a double-pole double-throw switch to toggle the left and right audio from one source to another. You will need to build a small box to house it, and can use 3.5mm sockets to plug devices into the box directly.
-Solution B) Get a 3.5mm path cord and plug the output of one computer to the line-in of the other computer. Setup the other computer to 'listen' to the line-in device. This allows both computers to play audio at the same time, and the other computer will be able to directly adjust the first computer's audio. (This will also allow you to record audio from one computer to another.)
-Solution C) Build a simple mixer with 4 resistors to allow both computers to remain connected at all time. (This will not allow one computer to record audio from another.)

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi, that can be made very simply with a DPDT switch. And a housing box if required.
I started writing this ages ago, but had to get my crispy duck out of the oven:)

But Gryd3's explanation is better than mine so I found a picture instead.
steroab.gif