Connect with us

How to wire LED

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by z7master167, May 9, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. z7master167

z7master167

May 9, 2013
    I am trying to wire some uv leds up to a 12v deep cycle marine battery heres what i have done, i bought 4 uv lights at walmart they have 9 uv leds. I soldered one wire to positive and one wire to negeative on all 4 lights. I then took the positive wire from all 4 lights and soldered them together then i took a 10ohm resistor and soldered it on the 4 wires , then i took all the negative wires and soldered them together then i hooked them up to the battery, after a minute or so my resistor turned black and started smoking pretty bad, i on hooked if from the battery and now i dont know what to do i dont wanna burn up the lights

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
  3. glewis721

glewis721

Apr 30, 2013
    What's your powering situation like? Mabey the resistor couldn't take that much power.

4. z7master167

z7master167

May 9, 2013
    Im using a 12v deep cycle marine battery , from everything ive read, the lights are on parallel theres 9 of them on each circuit board im assiming they are 3.5v amd 25ma so would i multiplt my milliamps 9x25 and use 4 resistors or would i multiply 36x25 and use one resistor im totally dumbfounded when it comes to this

5. z7master167

z7master167

May 9, 2013
    No the resistor was brand new but it was 10ohm and 1/2 watt, on the online calculator it tells me to use a 7.8 watt 15 ohm resistor and thats hooking all 36 lights up to one resistor

6. glewis721

glewis721

Apr 30, 2013
    WELL THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM!!! =)
    Get a resistor that can handle more power.

7. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    7.8W is a lot higher than 1/2 watt.

Also choosing a 10 ohm resistor instead of a 15 ohm resistor made things worse (for the resistor AND the LEDs).

It would be far more preferable to place a resistor in series with each LED, and even better again to arrange them in strings.

If you can't do this, get a 15 ohm resistor rated at (at least) 10W and use that.

A single resistor like this for LEDs in parallel is likely to result in the individual LEDs having a much shortened life.

8. z7master167

z7master167

May 9, 2013
    Can i wire the led lights up in series even though the lights are wired in parallel? I can run one positive to the + on my battery then the - to the + on the other light and so on to all 4 lights then run the - to my battery from the 4 th light? And if so what kind of resistor do i need then? Anybody have a diagram?

9. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    You need to re-wire them.

The alternatives are shown in the link I gave you in the second post.

LEDs in parallel are only ever OK if they are both matched and in close thermal contact.

10. z7master167

z7master167

May 9, 2013
    But i wont be able to rewire them they are already on there on circuit board wired in parallel from factory can i not wire in each 9 led light in series to one another?

Ask a Question