Connect with us

How to use Piezo Electric Tape?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by hosseinz8050, Dec 22, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. hosseinz8050

hosseinz8050

Dec 22, 2011
    Hi.
    I want to use piezo electric tape to convert pressure to electric voltage and then to 8 bit digital data. I designed a 741 amplification circuit, but it's not work properly. I am searching very much for an example of piezo electric tape circuit but I could not find any thing on the internet.
    please give me an example of amplification circuit to 5 volt output and also piezo electric tape as an input to the circuit. The following figure shows the piezo electeric tape:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks...

2. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
    Hi hosseinz8050,

You can do more searches with piezo scavenging and piezo harvesting keywords.

Olivier

3. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    You'll need a lot better op-amp than the 741 to make the high input impedance amplifier needed for this purpose.
    You'll also need to define the lower frequency limit, since a piezo sensor is unsuitable for static measurements.
    The piezo sensor has an inherent capacitance that together with the amplifier input impedance defines this limit.

4. hosseinz8050

hosseinz8050

Dec 22, 2011
    Hi dear Resqueline
    thanks for your recommendation. I am forced to using piezoelectric tape with op amp.
    The stage in my circuit is as follows:
    piezoelectric sensor--->op-amp---> ADC0804(analog to digital converter)---> Multiplexor---> PIC18F4550.
    My problem in this circuit is:
    When I connect piezoelectric to the circuit, the digital output is not zero(00000000), when no pressure is applied to the piezoelectric!!!
    I can not understand the source of this problem.
    please help me!!!!
    Thanks.

5. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Have a look at "charge amplifiers" in Wikipedia.
    You should use a fet input op-amp.
    The sensor only gives an output when the input changes, you will probably need a rectifier after the op-amp in order to get a reasonably steady signal for the computer to read.

6. hosseinz8050

hosseinz8050

Dec 22, 2011
    Hi
    I am using rectifier but the same problem was occurred again!!!
    Where exactly rectifier must be put?
    thanks.

Ask a Question