Connect with us

How to use an Oscilloscope

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by vvcepheus7, Oct 15, 2012.

1. vvcepheus7

vvcepheus7

Oct 15, 2012
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post so take the opportunity to greet everyone.

I do an engineering and I have a question about a practice related with the oscilloscope.

The question:

We use an Agilent oscilloscope. A student wants to determine the value peak-to-peak of a signal during to pass through an attenuator, and the noise voltage will be around 10mVpp. What settings should I use?

Anyone can help me please?!

Thank you!

PS sorry for my english, i'm spanish speaker!

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What is the expected amplitude of the signal?

If it is (say) 30VRMS, then you'll be expecting about 100V ptp, so start with 20V per division (or even higher) and reduce it if the signal appears too small. (now, that assumes a 1x probe, and you probably have a 10x probe, so you would adjust to suit -- say 2V per division.)

Horizontal time base depends on the frequency of your signal and what you want to see.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. vvcepheus7

vvcepheus7

Oct 15, 2012
    Hi! thanks for your reply!

It was a test question but I don't write the answers because my english is to much poor! :p

Finally I mark this option:
    "use the input signal for trigger the oscilloscope using the chanel 2. After use the median function for reduce the noise before of messure the signal in chanell 1."

I hope that its ok but I don't know! haha
    Thanks!

Ask a Question