Connect with us

how to use a zener diode

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by totalhack, Jul 22, 2008.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. totalhack

totalhack

Jul 22, 2008
    after some searching online I can't find a dumbed down account on how to use a zener diode to regulate voltage. now I come to all of you so please help me if you can.

what I am interested in doing is supplying 18-24 volts to what is normally a 9v system. the system in question is for the drozd bb gun. For those that dont know it is a fully automatic bb sub machine gun. It operates electronically and uses a solenoid to strike the magazine which releases high pressured air and the bb.

I know that the components of the electronic circuit board are likely to be damaged with increased voltage to the 18-24 volt range. Currently we use energizer "n" batteries to increase the voltage to 15 volts but past this people have reported frying their boards. This being said however it is said that the solenoid can handle the larger voltages with no problems.

so my question is how can I use a zener diode to keep the voltage low enough to keep the main electronics board from frying yet allow the higher voltages to pass to the solenoid.

thanks in advance

Ask a Question