Maker Pro
Maker Pro

how to turn 4 segment led into 3 segments?

panda

Jun 25, 2012
I have a light fixture I need to cut to fit in the space alloted for it. There is an led driver connected to 277v that converts the voltage down to DC. The wires are tapped at the point of entry of the fixture and a pair of positive and negative wires feed a pair of segments and the other pair of wires feed the other pair of segments. One pair of segments is fed by the positive and negative. And the other pair of segments has the positive/negative terminals reversed. The arrangement is parallel.

I can get 4 or 2 segments to light up, but 3 will not light up together. I soldered one strip to the other pair and all the leds faintly light up like they are not getting enough voltage.

Example of what segments look like:
Pair #1..............................Pair #2
(----------- ------------) (-------------- -------------)
The pair on the left have the common wire going to the positive terminal and the positive wire going to the common terminal. The pair on the right have the opposite arrangement. I took one segment from pair one and soldered it to pair two and I disconnected the wires feeding pair one.

The three segments will light up dimly unless I short out the negative and positive terminals between segments, then they light up like normal. I will draw a picture tomorrow and post it, I don't think I'm making any sense, lol.

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I don't think I'm making any sense, lol.
I'm afraid you're right.

What make are the LED strips and the driver? Do you have any schematics (even if only of the exterior connection of the LEDs and the driver)?