Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to toggle on/off via Power Line?

max_torch

Feb 9, 2014
I have read in an electronics journal that Power Line Communications (PLC) can be used to switch on and off devices that are also receiving power from the grid.
I would like to make a setup where I will use an inverter to produce 220VAC from a car battery and then have three dummy devices (perhaps a street lamp bulb) to represent loads that are getting power from the inverter but also have a control signal sent through the same lines powering the bulbs in which it can then toggle on/off the bulb upon receiving this control signal.
Is there a guide that can help me do this? I know a lot of papers have been written on PLC already but it is hard to search for them, especially since people are confusing Power Line Commuications with Programmable Logic Controller. Anyone can give me advice on this?
By the way I am aware that there are other ways to control things like with X10, etc... but this is more of a proof of concept kind of thing, and a lot of papers have been written on the advantage of PLC such as less cost for wiring since you only need a one wire for power and control, etc...

max_torch

Feb 9, 2014
Everything you describe can be done with X-10 modules.

ak
By the way I am aware that there are other ways to control things like with X10, etc... but this is more of a proof of concept kind of thing, and a lot of papers have been written on the advantage of PLC such as less cost for wiring since you only need a one wire for power and control, etc...
the main feature here is to send the control signal through the power wire, it is a proof of concept.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
the main feature here is to send the control signal through the power wire, it is a proof of concept.
The X10 modules ARE the proof of concept: they send and receive high-frequency control signals, carried on the power lines as signal conductors while at the same time those same conductors provide power to the loads. What part of this do you not understand? What wheel are you trying to re-invent?

max_torch

Feb 9, 2014
Sorry, when I saw that X10 was using radio frequency I thought it was wireless, but after reading about it again online I now see that it was exactly what I was looking for.. thank you people.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Sorry, when I saw that X10 was using radio frequency I thought it was wireless, but after reading about it again online I now see that it was exactly what I was looking for.. thank you people.
Something to keep in mind here as well... That the control signals being sent down the power cables in the home may also end up in the neighbours house. So as far as a 'DIY' proof of concept, be careful you don't start putting signals on the lines that could interfere with other equipment.
Oh.. another thing to consider..
Intercoms are available that send voice over the power lines.
Ethernet extenders will send 'network' data over the power lines as well.
http://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/power-line-adapters/

So it's been done with anything from analogue, to simple and complex digital signals already.