Not open for further replies.

TommyF

May 18, 2015
How do you test MOV varistors?

I have tried using an DVM Ohm meter but all I get is O.L overload

TommyF

May 18, 2015
Fluke 87 Ohm mode

How do you test MOV varistor components?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
An ohmmeter will only tell you if a MOV is bad by indicating conductivity, typically a short. A good MOV will always measure "open" with an ohmmeter, but this is not a definitive test. It is not easy to tell if the MOV is good. It requires a special test setup to apply an energy-limited pulse of proper amplitude to measure how the MOV turns on and dissipates the energy. The energy in the pulse should be much less than the rated energy of the MOV, lest you damage the device by testing it.

Most MOVs fail by shorting and will physically display a discoloration on the outside when this occurs. When in doubt, replace the MOV with a new one.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Most MOVs fail by shorting and will physically display a discoloration on the outside when this occurs. When in doubt, replace the MOV with a new one.

or physically explode

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Good advice, I will add that they should also be replaced due to age.
I would venture a guess that the majority of movs in equipment 15 years or older for suppression of line voltage, offer little to no protection.

BGB

Nov 30, 2014
or physically explode

a lot of things will do this in the right circumstances (transistors, diodes, ...).

recently (last night) basically had a board blow-up, where transistors and similar lit up like Christmas lights (turning bright red) and started spewing smoke and fire, the event also destroying several 30A MOSFETs and similar as well... (not visibly, but the legs are shorted).

nothing exploded per-se (this time), but some of the transistors did shatter afterwards (after cooling). but, yeah, that board is pretty much trashed...

a MOV or TVS diode could probably have prevented this (the board was driving an inductive load, and lost contact with the power supply and blew up).

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
a lot of things will do this in the right circumstances (transistors, diodes, ...).

true, but its a VERY common fauilure mode for MOV's and PTC's :)

Status
Not open for further replies.