Connect with us

How to tell if a switch is a good one?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by eem2am, Aug 10, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. eem2am

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
    Hello,

I have just ordered 100 of the following switch: Part number = SDC-1-014

Switch (SDC-1-014)
    http://uk.farnell.com/erg-components/sdc-1-014/switch-dil-dt-1way/dp/422680?ref=lookahead

...I am using this to switch 10mA in a 24V circuit. The switchs basically don't work..none of them. When one moves the slider strongly along...then the switch is in a kind of half connected state, and I can hear the relay coil that's being switched clicking away as it repeatedly switches....there is a series led, and I can see that flickering as the contact is not made properly.......after switching it, then in order to get a good contact, one has to 'tinker' with the slider until the contact becomes permanent....fiddling with it, gently nudging it until a good, continuous contact occurs

How could I have known that these switches were going to be like this (i.e. 'rubbish'?)

I wish to order a different switch to replace it. -one that works

How can I tell if the following switch is going to work or not?....
    http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1201430

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Complain to Farnell.

Honestly, I've never had a problem with a DIP switch that hasn't been abused. However I tend to use the ones that look like a rocker switch, or a more traditional slide switch.

It should also be noted that these switches are designed to set configuration rather than routinely used to switch something on and off. If I were going to use one for the latter, I would very carefully check the datasheet.

The second switch you suggest is a much larger switch I think.

Actually I just looked at the datasheet for the former and I think I have one of these *somewhere* -- I remember the rainbow coloured switches!

I would also point out that if you're using this to switch current to a relay then you are probably exposing the switch to excessively high voltages that can damage the contacts. The buzzing you describe would be particularly damaging.

On the other hand, I'm also somewhat surprised that the latter switch you suggest is rated only for 0.1A.

Ask a Question