Connect with us

How to strip the insulation off 3 core main cables?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Noobster, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Noobster

Noobster

Oct 28, 2013
    Is there a special tool for stripping the insulation off 3 core main cables?

Currently I use a craft knife and partially cut around the outer insulation and then bend the insulation around the cut to make it tear through the rest of the insulation, so not to make cuts in the insulation of the three core wires. This is a tedious and hit and miss affair sometimes, and if I'm honest a right PIA.

P.S.

I really liked the old green colour scheme for this website.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    That's pretty much the way I do it. The only difference is that I bend the cable before I start to cut it so that a small nick tends to tear through so I can keep the knife well away from the insulation underneath.

The "electrician's" method is to cut the insulation parallel with the direction of the conductors at the end of the cable then grab the wires in one hand and the split section of outer insulation in the other and kind of peel them apart (just pull in opposite directions). The is is a really fast method if you need to strip a large length, and ok for shorter ones. It doesn't look as neat where you trim the outer insulation, but the wiring is hidden, right?

3. Noobster

Noobster

Oct 28, 2013
    Ok thanks for a quick reply.

4. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
  5. flippineck

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
    I spent some time at a local college doing a city & guilds 2360 course as a trainee electrician. There, the method of nicking it around the outside & then bending it open was massively frowned upon because of the danger of damaging the insulation on the inner conductors. They taught the method described by Steve above.

For stripping back the ends of the inner conductors, This sort >> http://www.ecvv.com/product/3399082.html >> is really fast and useful

Not used one in a while but IIRC they work fine on both twin & earth (sorry twin & cpc) and stranded conductor flex.

6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Are you talking about ROMEX cable in house wiring? The flat cable that has the three wires lined-up in a row? If so, I use a Romex stripper. Pretty cheap hand-held device sold by anybody that sells the wire.
    That removes the insulating shield, then you use KJ6EAD's type of stripper for the individual wires.

7. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    The "frowned upon" method is slower, but is the right way for many other cable types. The other method works on mains wiring because it is physically robust. It won't work for many other cables with much less robust conductors (and things like coax).

It's worth knowing a number of methods and choosing the right one for the job.

KJ6EAD likes this.
  8. flippineck

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
    I never know quite what to do with the thicker coax cables

usually make it up as I go along

9. Chris Dancer

Chris Dancer

Nov 6, 2013
    I use the cut-and-bend method too. It's better with a bluntish knife so you don't cut through the insulation on the wires, but if you are stripping cable you are probably going to be exposing the ends of the wires anyway, so a nick in the insulation hardly poses any extra risk.

10. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    There are strippers made for amost any type of cable. Especially prolific are coax cable stripper for all types of cable.

11. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Yes, using the correct tool is always a great idea... If you have access to the that tool.

12. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Has anyone mentioned teeth?

Bob

13. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    I cut the side of the insulation length ways fold back the plastic and cut with side cutters... there are times where I disconnect it from mains first too. those are the days I want to live

14. Noobster

Noobster

Oct 28, 2013
    Well it's 'funny' you should say that but many years ago my brother was tasked with shortening a mains cable, and without thinking he placed the cable on the floor and cut through it with a craft knife. There was a sharp loud crack and smell of burning and he jumped back to see that a neat circular hole had appeared in the steel blade. He hadn't unplugged the cable from the mains! Luckily the craft knife had a plastic outer casing, otherwise his life would have been curtailed.

A few years ago I was shortening a mains extension cable late at night after working all day to install a satellite cable to an upstairs room. Without thinking I plugged the extension cable into the socket outlet, to gauge the length of cable needed, but I had forgotten that the other end of the cable had the wires bared. The bared wires brushed against my left hand and I felt an intense and powerful tingling sensation. I was able to remove my hand very rapidly and realise my stupidity.

Ask a Question