Connect with us

How to stop enclosure from dropping power when bumped

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by brisrocket, Jan 24, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. brisrocket

brisrocket

Jan 24, 2013
    Hiya,

As the title suggests, I have a project that is basically an enclosure, housing a circuit board and a couple of AA batteries. The thing is every now and again when the enclosure is bumped it loses power and needs to be woken up again.

I'm kinda new to this, but can't seem to find anybody with experience in this field. Do you know if this is typical and how to resolve. I am wondering if I need to pack in some foam into the battery compartment to help hold the batteries down a bit. Here's the enclosure I am using: http://www.jaycar.com.au/ShowLargep...c Enclosures - 135 x 70 x 24mm - Black&IMAGE=

Have you experienced this? How do you suggest to debug or resolve?

Thanks in advance :)

2. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
    Open the case, start the device, and start wiggling wires and components until the power failure occurs. Fix whatever you were touching. I do this professionally. :)

Ken

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    I'd do like kMoffett says.
    My input is that there are all kinds of low profile, cheap, easily obtainable battery
    holder assemblies available. I'd be checking into securing the batteries into something
    that holds them in place tightly. Some nylon holders almost wrap themselves partially
    around the batteries to hold them together.
    (I'm suspecting your batteries getting jostled, are your issue).

4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    I used to have this problem with my smartphone. Because of the mass of the battery, one decent bump on the phone was enough to very briefly break the connection between the battery holder's contacts and the battery, and cause it to reset.

I fixed it by jamming something in beside the battery so the battery couldn't actually move within the holder. Another way would be to greatly tighten the contacts so that they don't break contact when the battery moves.

Finally, the circuitry should be designed to accomodate very brief interruptions in the power supply rail. If there's room, you can add an electrolytic capacitor acrouss the power supply rails where they enter the circuit board. The value you need depends on the current consumption of the device, the minimum voltage it can tolerate without resetting, and the duration of the interruption. Typically something like 100~1000 uF should be enough.

Ask a Question