Connect with us

how to signal an alarm at point

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Ashclose, Jan 21, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ashclose

Ashclose

Jan 21, 2013
    Hi,

My name is Ashley, i am a complete novice when it comes to electronics and circuits.

I have been trying to research online but am not getting very far!

All i want to know is is there such thing as an electronic component that will signal an alarm at point A if point B goes outside a set parameter ( parameter measured by distance )

Any help will be greatly received

Thanks

Ash

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    You need a much better and detailed description before a specific answer is given... Basically spill the beans in as much detail as you can...

But, yes there is almost certainly something that will do what you want, if nothing else a small program on a micro will almost certainly accomplish what you want... But, until the beans are spilled you we really can't direct you towards a solution...

3. Ashclose

Ashclose

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks for your reply CocaCola,

Its difficult for me to elaborate. I have an idea which i believe could lead to quite a successful product. Like i said before i'm a novice at this so am struggling to research on my own as i don't know where to start. And as i don't have a prototype can't get a patent. Therefor am being cautious with what i say.

I basically need to know what the component is called so i can research it further. And the description above is basically all it needs to do, set an alarm off at point A if point B gets further away than a preset distance, that can be changed

Sorry for being vague!

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Ahh, the ever famous "I have an idea I wanna patent, so it's a super secret" my advice don't solicit help on a public forum if it's a secret... Hire an attorney, have him write up non-disclosure agreements and then contact a design firm and have them help you after they agree to the non-disclosure...

And we need basically need a detailed description on what you want to do or else we would be wasting our time even guessing at a solution or tossing up ideas for an unknown task that we know nothing about... Do you see where we are? Round and round we go...

Best solution I have program a micro to do what you want, using the appropriate external hardware to accomplish your desired task...

5. Ashclose

Ashclose

Jan 21, 2013
    Right,

First of all, i didn't come on here to be patronised, second i was hardly "soliciting" help on a public forum in a way that would give my idea away. I was quite simply asking what a component was called so i could further research it, a starting point, as everybody has to start somewhere. You don't have to be an electronically minded genius to see a problem but you do to solve it. I am not electronically minded so need help in the area, not sarcasm.

Thanks for the advise about the non-disclosure, that was good advise

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    There is no such component, it would be a circuit based on several components. The problem is that there is no one way to determine the distance between two objects, which one is best would depend on how far apart they might be, whether they are within line of sight etc. So the information you have given does not help up to propose a solution.

It might be an ultrasonic rangefinder, a laser rangfinder or, on the other end of the spectrum, a GPS + cellular modem.

Oh, and by the way, you do not need a prototype to patent something.

Bob

7. Ashclose

Ashclose

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks for your imput Bob,

It sounds like i'm going to have to seek help from someone in this field as its all a bit over my head! Interesting on what you said about the prototype, i always thought you couldn't patent an idea!?

Any suggestions on how i approach getting help and covering my own back?

Ash

8. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    You can patent an idea, but you have to give enough information for someone skilled in the field to build it.

I think your best bet is get someone under NDA to research it for you.

On the other hand, you could probably give us enough info to be of some help without disclosing the even the details of your invention. For instance, the distance range that it will work on and whether it is line of site or not.

Bob

9. Ashclose

Ashclose

Jan 21, 2013
    Ok,

Therefor obviously i would need to acquire more info before going down that route.

There would not be a direct line of site between point A and point B. The distance would be anywhere from 40meters up to 500meters. This would also need to be able to be changed when required. I suppose this makes things a lot more complicated!?

Ash

10. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    You could use sound, get a foghorn.

You could use radio, get a radio controlled doorbell or a mobile phone.

Distance measurement can be done by ultrasonics or laser but if it is not line of sight, I think it impossible as the definition cannot be specified.

11. Osmium

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
    Then again, two radio linked gps units could be used to monitor distance between any two points...

So long as we have gps... and as long as the radio system doesn't fail... and so long as it's ok to have gear at each point... and so long as it's on earth.. or near earth... etc...

- Roy (who wishes he'd patented his "scratch pad" device idea some 35 years ago - just think of all that revenue from touch screens!!)

12. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    And as long as you only need 10m accuracy.

Bob

13. Osmium

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
    Yes, but thinking about it after your post, I figured that a pair of receivers might enhance the accuracy so I had a quick google and came up with this: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1207.2761.pdf which concludes:
    And apparently there are gps "augmentation" systems in place which can improve things even further. So, thanks to the OP for being vague enough to nudge our brains into curiosity mode and foment a little research! :D

-Roy

14. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Yeah, but then you are pushing thousands of dollars in GPS hardware in most cases, this can almost certainly be done easier and cheaper by other means...

Ask a Question