Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to rewire a switch so it's always on?

riskywhat

Aug 14, 2015
I have a faulty power switch on a BGA rework station:

http://s11.postimg.org/soktwbzpv/faultyswitch.jpg

PIC LEFT: Faulty Switch
PIC TOP: Mains wire

I don't really need to replace the switch, because I always use the mains switch. How would I rewire it so that the switch is removed and it is always on? Which wires should I connect together?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

ADRT

Nov 25, 2014
It would appear that they are switching both hot and neutral here. Tie the two blue wires together and the brown wire to the black wire. That should do the trick. Make sure you turn off the breaker or remove the supply fuses ( if equipped ) before attempting this.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
As already stated by ADRT, you have an isolation switch that disconnects the live and neutral.
You didn't show the front of the switch!
If it simply turns on and off no problem, if however there is a reset or test button, you should replace the switch for the OEM part. But I doubt that to be the situation here.

Martin

riskywhat

Aug 14, 2015
As already stated by ADRT, you have an isolation switch that disconnects the live and neutral.
You didn't show the front of the switch!
If it simply turns on and off no problem, if however there is a reset or test button, you should replace the switch for the OEM part. But I doubt that to be the situation here.

Martin

Thanks for the advice!

It is just an on/off switch. There is no reset or test button.

It would appear that they are switching both hot and neutral here. Tie the two blue wires together and the brown wire to the black wire. That should do the trick. Make sure you turn off the breaker or remove the supply fuses ( if equipped ) before attempting this.

The station is plugged into a standard UK wall socket. I will of course unplug it before doing this! Thanks!

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
You should have no problems by-passing the switch and using the socket switch to power it.

Martin