Connect with us

how to remove PGA socket from the PCB

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Chengjun Li, Jan 19, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Chengjun Li

Chengjun Li

Oct 21, 2014
    Hi all,

I have a PGA socket soldered on the PCB, like below, upload_2015-1-19_13-54-20.png

upload_2015-1-19_13-58-23.png
    I wonder will an ordinary solder sucker (or de-soldering pump) be able to remove the socket from the PCB since the solder points are small?If not, is there any other way I could do it?

Thanks.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I guess it may be possible to use the equipment you specify, but it will be very difficult.

Applying hot air to the back of the board and removing the socket when the solder has melted would be far easier.

Chengjun Li likes this.
  3. Calmore

Calmore

Jan 19, 2015
    You can get special nozzles for hot air guns, but they are £££££££'s.

There's a lot of metal around that socket, which isn't going to help matters.

Is it possible to remove the top part of the socket? You them might be able to clamp the board vertically in a vice and remove the pins one by one with a pair of tweezers, while heating each joint on the back with a hot iron. You'd then need to go round and use a solder sucker or braid to clean each individual hole.

Whatever you decide, great care will be needed.

4. Chengjun Li

Chengjun Li

Oct 21, 2014
    Hi Steve, hot air is really a good idea. Thanks.

5. Chengjun Li

Chengjun Li

Oct 21, 2014
    Thanks for your answer. I put the PCB on a hot plate for several minutes and then turn over the Pcb, the socket fall down by itself.

Ask a Question