Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to properly connect wires

DiodeDave

Dec 7, 2011
I need to connect wires from the controller on my locomotive to the 2 motors wired parallel. There is one lead from the controller going to each of the motors.

The circuit is protected with a 30a fuse and the motors are 7.5a each. The system is 24vdc.

The wires are subject to movement as the truck containing the motors moves around the track.

The wire from the controller is 10awg and the motor wires are 12awg.
One 10awg wire is presently connected to 2 12awg wires with a wire nut.

During my testing, the 30a fulse blew when one motor malfunctioned (as noted in another thread). So I'm guessing the wire and fuse size are proper.

Would there be any harm in soldering the wires? Wouldn't the fuse blow or insulation melt before the solder?

Or, what is the best way to make the connection?

Thanks in advance.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hello Dave
Yes you can solder the wires together. In a fault condition the fuse should blow before the solder melts. Another option is you could use a terminal block with a suitable current rating. It's like a shorting block with screw terminals which makes it a bit more convenient to extend, or replace the wires if they get damaged.
Thanks
Adam

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
If you use a terminal block where the wires go in from opposite sides, then make the wires overlap so you connect directly from one wire to the other and have two clamping screws on both wires.
If the connection is not good, the heat will cause the screws to loosen and even more heat will be generated.