Maker Pro
Maker Pro

how to produce a spark

frosttrap

Sep 7, 2010
hello. does anyone know how to produce a spark by only using a ballast, capacitor, inductor and a 1.5v battery? we were given a task that doesn't have a specific circuit to follow and we are just going to do it by trial and error but i have been trying different combinations in order for my circuit to work but it's not working :(

thanks in advance

Militoy

Aug 24, 2010
I'm not even sure you really need the cap. You might get a better spark using one though. I don't believe it will do you a service if a poster just spells out a solution - the problem is supposed to get you to to reason it out for yourself. But here's a way to look at the problem -

A ballast is just an inductive device with one or more high-inductance windings. They usually also have one or more lower inductance, low voltage windings. Current through a winding will magnetize the core to some extent, and any change in that current will induce current to flow in all windings, as the increasing or collapsing magnetic flux lines pass through the turns of the windings. Your goal will be to coax the greatest current change possible, and to take the greatest advantage of that change. Remember also, that you can store energy in a cap. Good luck!

frosttrap

Sep 7, 2010
hello. thank you for your response. i was able to produce a spark by using a transformer and just connecting the wires and battery, etc..

Militoy

Aug 24, 2010
Good on you! You were rewarded - by using your own resources.