Connect with us

How to produce 20V 1A?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Sourabh Sarkar, May 2, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Sourabh Sarkar

Sourabh Sarkar

May 2, 2010
    How can convert 220V A.C to 20V D.C & 1Amp ?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The easiest way is using a transformer, rectifier, filter capacitors, and finally a voltage regulator (which may need a heatsink)

3. Sourabh Sarkar

Sourabh Sarkar

May 2, 2010
    How can convert 220V A.C to 20V D.C & 1Amp without using Tranformer

4. Mitchekj

Mitchekj

Jan 24, 2010
    A buck converter. Would definitely be easier going with Steve's suggestion and use the transformer (linear supply) though.

Or, just buy a suitable wall-wart?

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    A wall-wart would probably be safer, cheaper, quicker, safer, and more reliable.

Depending on how demanding your requirement is for 20 volts, you can probably pick up an old laptop power supply. I know that many of these are 19 volts. As a bonus, they'll be rated for higher than 1A too, so you won't be stressing them.

Edit: Let me explain further. If you need to ask how to design a switch more power supply that operates direct from the mains then you don't have the knowledge to safely design one and make it work. I could probably have a go at designing such a beast, but I would rely heavily on datasheets provided by manufacturers and I would probably go through several iterations of variously non-functional power supplies before I made one that worked. I am very wary of 400V DC power supplies, especially those with low impedance.

One of the most amusing things is that the IC that controls the power supply is often powered from an output of the power supply itself. So even starting up the power supply involves some strange magic.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  6. 55pilot

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
    I do not mean to undermine the very premise of this site, but....

If someone has to ask questions about how to design a 110V/220V device, they are not qualified to be designing such a thing. When you are dealing with things that can kill you, you need experience or you need supervision and mentoring till you gain that experience. The internet can not provide that.

---55p

Ask a Question