Connect with us

How to power both arudino and motor from same source

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by red913, May 7, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. red913

red913

Mar 22, 2013
    So my Arduion Uno takes 7-12 volts and the motor I run takes about 6V. The uno can handle up to 1A and the motor pulls about .8A but spikes to about 1-1.1A on startup. So I'm thinking if I found a 1A power supply that's at anywhere from 7-12 V then I should, with proper resistors, be able to send power to both right or would I need something along the lines of say 1.5-2A power supply? Also I'm looking for a simple plug in the wall type that's already made. Do you think I may have to make my own power supply? Just want to see what kind of options I had here. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    No the UNO might require only about 1A, you could hook a bazillion Amp power supply to it without issue...

2.5A or above would be preferable...

Wall warts and adapters all over Ebay for a few bucks...

Example http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-9V-3000...338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415f6e2d62

I would get a 9V supply since they are cheap and readily available at the voltage and will work well with the UNO... Simply drop off a few volts with a few series diodes (4 1N00x diodes should work nicely) to run the motor at the recommended voltage...

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  3. red913

red913

Mar 22, 2013
    Thank you very much. Also, why use a diode over a resistor if reverse voltage protection is not an issue?I could calculate the resitor needed. But I'm assuming the didoe is for simplicity, right? I did a quick search and I guess those will always drop about .7 or 1v, depending on who you ask.

Oh ya, do you think regulate vs unregulated power supplies matter in this case?

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Diode drops voltage but do not restrict current...

A resistor limits overall current, you will starve the motor on start up or when it's under load...

Yes it matters, get a regulated one... If not the voltage will spike well past the acceptable 'safe' range when under less draw then specified...

Ask a Question