Connect with us

How to measure electric power?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by ArFa, Oct 1, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ArFa

ArFa

Dec 7, 2010
    Hi all,
    I want to measure output voltage, output current and output power of a 3-phase power generator, and send those data to MCU for analyzing, how can I do that ?

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    My tip: get a 3-phase power meter with a serial port to read the data from the meter. Wire the unit up to the generator as shown in the manual.
    A Google search will turn up lots of sources for such meters.

3. ArFa

ArFa

Dec 7, 2010
    Can I use any hall effect sensor ?
    Do you know any of these ?

4. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!

Aug 27, 2013
    ArFa,

I don't know your background, but measuring 3-phase power can be more than a little tricky, especially if the load isn't balanced and/or is highly reactive. Most businesses that use 3-phase power recognize the need for professional engineering help in load management and either contract periodic reviews or hire a full time engineer for the purpose. Harald's advice is good; I am not suggesting you can't DIY, but you need to have a firm grasp on the mathematics of what you are measuring before you worry about how to measure it.

Fish

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    ArFa,
    your original question exhibits a certain lack of understanding of power electronics. I therefore cannot advise you to any do-it-yourself solution. You're dealing with life-threatening voltages and currents.
    Therefore my only advice can be to get a commercial product (which should be safe) and use it strictly according to the manual.

Ask a Question