Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to make high electromagnetic field?

amidis86

Jul 17, 2012
Hello all, i just want to know either electromagnetic field strange depend on voltage given to coil or how many coil winding?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The magnetic circuit should be as small as possible so that the magnetic energy does not go wandering off into space.

A magnetic core can be used to concentrate the field but this will saturate at high levels of flux and then not do much.

You need a large number of ampere-turns so you can use lots of turns of thin wire and a high voltage or few turns of thick wire and low voltage.
The limit will be the heating of the coil so you will be able to make a stronger field if you turn off before it melts.

The best way is to get a super-conductor and cool it with liquid helium when very large fields can be made with no heat generated, you may be able to pick up a scrap MRI scanner.

amidis86

Jul 17, 2012
it is possible to build 15 meter deep into soil of electromagnetic field? to detect metal? i try to understand mini 555 metal detector, but the length is small.. If i try to winding the inductor more, can this help to get large range metal detector? and deeper into soil?