Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to make an electronically activated co2 pump ?

Padraig Prescod

Aug 16, 2015
Hi im a complete novice with electronics and currently working on a short film project and need to make a non explosive reusable squib (blood visual effect). I know i can use a bike pump and a hose to disperse fake blood i just don't know how to make an electronically remote triggered one so the actor can have hands free? could anyone help i just need to figure out how to make a C02 bike pump release all of its contents electronically. There is a squib like this already on the market (http://squibfx.com/squib-fx-buy-rent/) but it costs 500 plus for what is essentially a bike pump and hose. this is way out of budget though and i would prefer to DIY it.

Any help appreciated thanks for reading

oz93666

Dec 7, 2014
There are fluid valves (for liquids and gases) available on ebay for around $25, powering this valve with 12 or 24 volts opens it .... 1" or 1/2 " are available , tank can be up to 10 atms. pressure.

My thought is small electricaly triggered explosives would be better, rocket enthusiasts use small electrical igniters to start their rockets, if you seal the end of these in epoxy, it would 'pop' when fired, put it in a small bag of red dye , it may work.