Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to make an audio device?

Mumblesxdo

Aug 16, 2013
Hello. This is my first project in electronics. I am a complete newb, so forgive my ignorance.* I am trying to learn the hardware aspect as well as the software aspect.
I am trying to make an audio device. These are the requirements:
1.* Ability to transfer audio file from computer to device using usb.
2.* Two buttons attached to device (button 1 and button 2)
3.* When button 1 is pressed, all odd indexed files are played. When button 2 is pressed all even indexed files are played.
4.* When either button is pressed three times consecutively, unit shuts off.
5. Approximately 9 Mb storage.

My question is what parts will I need to do this. Also, what software language will be required for the hardware side.

The second part of this project is to develop a Windows based application that will interact with the device.

Any suggestions or ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You're starting at the wrong end. Let me rephrase your question:

Hello. This is my first project in mechanics. I am a complete newb, so forgive my ignorance.* I am trying to learn the mechanical aspect as well as the fuel aspect.

I am trying to make an transport device. These are the requirements:
1.* Ability to transport people to to work using a rocket.
2.* Two buttons attached to device (button 1 and button 2)
3.* When button 1 is pressed, all left handed people are given a haircut. When button 2 is pressed all right handed people are given a haircut.
4.* When either button is pressed three times consecutively, unit lands.
5. Approximately 12,000 seats.

My question is what parts will I need to do this. Also, what colour fuel would be best?.

The second part of this project is to develop a ticketing system that will interact with the device.

Any suggestions or ideas will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance
To adequately do this, you would need to have experience in several domains -- and that's even if you were to buy already made modules and put them together.

For a first project in electronics, you might put together something that turns a LED on when the lights go out.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
A Raspberry Pi comes to mind.

True. Then it becomes an almost entirely software problem.

You would probably go for a network connection rather than USB because the rpi has host ports.

And maybe you'd want to add an amplifier to the audio output for more volume. (oh, and some switches).

I was thinking Arduino, MP3 player module, SD Card module, Amplifier (perhaps).

Rpi is easier is many respects. Not least of which is the amount of space you have to write code and the richness of the environment.

I know that one of my colleagues set a task for his kids to write an MP3 player using their Rpi's as a condition before he bought them an actual MP3 player (although the requirements were far more simple than those above)