Connect with us

How to make AC lights flash

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by arch_psyduck, Mar 24, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. arch_psyduck

arch_psyduck

Mar 24, 2012
    I am in the process of building a simple pinball machine for my wife's birthday. The mechanical parts are well underway, however, I am stuck on how to add flashing lights when certain targets are hit. I have a basic knowledge of circuits, but no experience with computerized or microchip circuits and am hoping to find a simple solution.

I am currently tinkering with a microswitch with a 2" arm with a 12V AC current. The switch allows me to open or close a circuit when the switch is pressed, but will only cause a single very brief flash when hit with a pinball. I want the lights to flash for several seconds after the switch is pressed.

Is there some component that I can use to produce several seconds of flashing lights upon the push of a button that doesn't involve me having to build some sort of timing circuit?

I appreciate the help!

2. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    I don't know of any single IC, but a flip-flop and 4060 would handle the job. Depending on the current needed for the lights a transistor might be applicable on the output of the 4060

3. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    You could quite easily take an arduino and tie sensors
    When the sensors are tripped you can have it switch a relay the controls the lights a few times

THis may cost a little more than you would really like to spend, but it is an option

Ask a Question