Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to make AC lights flash

arch_psyduck

Mar 24, 2012
I am in the process of building a simple pinball machine for my wife's birthday. The mechanical parts are well underway, however, I am stuck on how to add flashing lights when certain targets are hit. I have a basic knowledge of circuits, but no experience with computerized or microchip circuits and am hoping to find a simple solution.

I am currently tinkering with a microswitch with a 2" arm with a 12V AC current. The switch allows me to open or close a circuit when the switch is pressed, but will only cause a single very brief flash when hit with a pinball. I want the lights to flash for several seconds after the switch is pressed.

Is there some component that I can use to produce several seconds of flashing lights upon the push of a button that doesn't involve me having to build some sort of timing circuit?

I appreciate the help!

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Is there some component that I can use to produce several seconds of flashing lights upon the push of a button that doesn't involve me having to build some sort of timing circuit?

I don't know of any single IC, but a flip-flop and 4060 would handle the job. Depending on the current needed for the lights a transistor might be applicable on the output of the 4060

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
You could quite easily take an arduino and tie sensors
When the sensors are tripped you can have it switch a relay the controls the lights a few times

THis may cost a little more than you would really like to spend, but it is an option