Connect with us

How to make a trap?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Mat17, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Mat17

Mat17

Oct 13, 2015
    My job is to make an exotic game trap that when you call a phone, the door falls (vertically up and down). So my idea is to buy a prepaid phone with a screen that lights up and put the photresistor ok the screen (of course I would block out all other light with say, electrical tape or black duck tape. Now, I was thinking of using an Arduino Uno that would help me out. I would use a door lock solenoid and when called, the light would be picked up and the door latch would be retracted and the door would fall.

I need a COMPLETE part list. I have what I think I would need such as a transistor and things like that. (Not quite sure how to power everything, but it needs to be solar powered as it's going to be on 24/7.

And lastly, am I even going about this right? How would you go about this if this was your job?

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Instead of detecting light from the display, which may be not all to reliable, get a GSM remote control (or alarm) module with at least one built-in relay contact. You can then directly control the release of the door via e.g. an SMS.

Ian likes this.
  3. Mat17

Mat17

Oct 13, 2015
    If I used a GSM remote control, can I still control it from miles away?

4. GPG

GPG

Sep 18, 2015
  5. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    How will you know when to spring the trap, if you're miles away?

6. Mat17

Mat17

Oct 13, 2015
    Game camera.

7. Mat17

Mat17

Oct 13, 2015
    I really like that GSM device, but wouldn't it cost money for monthly charges? If I used my way described in the first post, wouldn't it be free (disregarding the first time cost of the prepaid phone)? If you never actually answer the phone, no minutes are charged, right?

8. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    If you don't use the phone at all within a set period (6 months?) the prepaid credit is forfeit ;).
    Do you have good mobile phone coverage in the trap location (I have visions of the location being somewhere remote with not a cell phone tower for hundreds of miles)?

9. Mat17

Mat17

Oct 13, 2015
    Lol, yes there will be good coverage. And really about the 6 months? :(

Really, my only worry now is if the solenoid can open even if there is a good bit of weight on it. The trap is a guillotine kind and I was thinking about puting a hole in the door for the solenoid pin to fit through, and then when activated, it pulls back and the door falls. I hope a 12V solenoid is strong enough. Unless any of you have any suggestions on a better way to make the door fall, like a servo and a gate latch or something.

10. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Solenoids have a very limited movement. A modeller's DC geared motor might be a better bet for withdrawing the pin..

11. Mat17

Mat17

Oct 13, 2015
    Well, how would YOU make the door fall? You have an output on an arduino pin, how do you make the door fall like a guillotine?

12. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    You need a mechanical arrangement similar to the lock mechanism on a pistol. The door is restrained by a lever that engages a sear. The sear is restrained by the de-energized solenoid. The sear has a glass-smooth sliding surface where it engages the solenoid armature. Retracting the armature releases the sear, allowing it to rotate and release the lever supporting the door. There are many variations on this idea, which is ancient. I have made animal traps using three notched sticks in a numeral four arrangement along with a suitable box. Google this to see how. Study John Browning's sear, hammer, and trigger mechanism for the Colt M1911 semi-automatic pistol.

Ask a Question