Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to make a simple transmitter and reciever? Range > 100 meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shyronnie

Nov 1, 2011
I want a remote, that can trigger at least 10 different recievers. Just like a car alarm actually, but the recievers are not in the same unit. So 10 reciever units, and 1 remote for them all. How to make such a thing? I it tricky?

I would like it, if it would send out a unique signal, so no interference could trigger the recievers. Maybe i need an IC to control that, but im not sure i want it to be so cumbersome. I also want it simple and compact.

How to?

If i can buy a complete set in some store, that would also be ok :)

Thank you.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
You are gonna need to divulge a little more info then that if you want help. First question that comes to my mind, will the transmitter be used to send the signal to all the receivers at once or do you need to be more selective?

details details details.

shyronnie

Nov 1, 2011
You are gonna need to divulge a little more info then that if you want help. First question that comes to my mind, will the transmitter be used to send the signal to all the receivers at once or do you need to be more selective?

details details details.

"I want a remote, that can trigger at least 10 different recievers" If it was for triggering all at once, it could trigger an infinite amount recievers at once, so of course i need a remote that can trigger them seperately :)

I don't think i can come up with more details with something so "simple". :/

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
if you want a simple i press button on remote and items turn on i press button again and they turn off, then simply use one remote and all the same recievers. if you need to switch all on some of the time and some on the rest of the time then you need a special hookup.

think of rc cars. if 2 people operate cars on same frequency. whoever has the stronger transmitter usually controls both cars, IE if i press forward, both peoples cars move forward. same with your setup.
be warned though this works with basic remote setups.
some infared, bluetooth and some radiofrequency remotes use adanced features that "pair" items to stop this from happening.
any chance on letting us know what the ten items you are trying to control are?

shyronnie

Nov 1, 2011
if you want a simple i press button on remote and items turn on i press button again and they turn off, then simply use one remote and all the same recievers. if you need to switch all on some of the time and some on the rest of the time then you need a special hookup.

think of rc cars. if 2 people operate cars on same frequency. whoever has the stronger transmitter usually controls both cars, IE if i press forward, both peoples cars move forward. same with your setup.
be warned though this works with basic remote setups.
some infared, bluetooth and some radiofrequency remotes use adanced features that "pair" items to stop this from happening.
any chance on letting us know what the ten items you are trying to control are?

Hey, i want it to be like a car alarm. so other frequencies doesn't trigger the recievers.
Like if i could get it to send a unique signal, and the with a transmitter ability like this car alarm i found: http://www.ecarsecurity.com/Galaxy-5000RS-p/galaxy_5000rs.htm

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
So what you want is a more like a tv remote, where each button is sending out a different code over the same freq and then each receiver will only activate depending on the code it receives. This would make the freq a non issue. My second issue is with the distance. 100+ meters is a huge distance, bluetooth is out, normal power IR is out. You still haven't let it out of the bag on what exactly it is you are trying to trigger. Oh well... good luck with your project

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/sensors/ir.html explains it a little more in depth

Last edited:

shyronnie

Nov 1, 2011
So what you want is a more like a tv remote, where each button is sending out a different code over the same freq and then each receiver will only activate depending on the code it receives. This would make the freq a non issue. My second issue is with the distance. 100+ meters is a huge distance, bluetooth is out, normal power IR is out. You still haven't let it out of the bag on what exactly it is you are trying to trigger. Oh well... good luck with your project

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/sensors/ir.html explains it a little more in depth

Yes, exactly. 10 butten, or only one button and a switch.
IR is not good, it will have to reach through trees and buildings.
I want the technology from the car alarm as antenna. That is long range.
http://www.lightinthebox.com/2-Way-...er-Remote-Distance---Anti-Hijack_p201419.html

I will trigger explosives, lights etc. ;) The recievers just have to open a built in relay. Thats all :)

egwillfriedel

Nov 4, 2011
You could us a hand held HAM radio and hook the mic to a micro controller that would output a digital signal based on its inputs you give it and for the receiver side of things you could build a modified version of a crystal radio and hook its speaker to a input to a micro controller that would out put only if it received a certain signal. (may need a ADC) Hence you have one transmitter on one frequency and how ever many transmitters you want and well over a 100 meter range. Only draw back is you would need a HAM license but I don't think they are hard to get. If you want to learn micro controllers Nerd kits have a nice start up kit and you can buy additional micros cheap. I am interested in a project like this for some of the same reasons let me know if you break any ground.

good luck

shyronnie

Nov 1, 2011
You could us a hand held HAM radio and hook the mic to a micro controller that would output a digital signal based on its inputs you give it and for the receiver side of things you could build a modified version of a crystal radio and hook its speaker to a input to a micro controller that would out put only if it received a certain signal. (may need a ADC) Hence you have one transmitter on one frequency and how ever many transmitters you want and well over a 100 meter range. Only draw back is you would need a HAM license but I don't think they are hard to get. If you want to learn micro controllers Nerd kits have a nice start up kit and you can buy additional micros cheap. I am interested in a project like this for some of the same reasons let me know if you break any ground.

good luck

I have tried the atmel microcontroller before, i but i cannot make the codes, and the transmitter units has got to have same system like the car alarms. Or else it won't reach.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
for that sort of transmitter range and the power levels needed its going to have to be licenced equip anyway else local authorities will take a dim view of your activities.

But a single transmitter ~ 100mW - 1W would ensure a stable transmission over that path through trees etc. and using multiple freqs or a single freq and digitally encoded
signal would be the way to go. If you personally cant do the digital encoding then you will have to find some one or a chip that can do it for you.
You really dont have much choice :)

cheers
Dave

shyronnie

Nov 1, 2011
Well i need a program for the IC in the remote, and in the reciever right? Someone must have made this kind of stuff before.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
remote control

All sounds a bit dodgy to me, ive followed the posts in the thread, unwilling to divulge an intended project, vague, all seems a bit odd to me, it might be amicable, but remotes cars, long range remote transmiters, ahhh, no, to dodgy, most questions involve an objective, totally strange, sorry but thats the way it looks.
Dave.

shyronnie

Nov 1, 2011
All sounds a bit dodgy to me, ive followed the posts in the thread, unwilling to divulge an intended project, vague, all seems a bit odd to me, it might be amicable, but remotes cars, long range remote transmiters, ahhh, no, to dodgy, most questions involve an objective, totally strange, sorry but thats the way it looks.
Dave.

i hope you haven't read the thread because i wrote that i just need a wireless remote to trigger things, like bombs or lights. You must have missed that.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
For the exact reasons you post is also a very good reason why anyone here will not be to willing to help. Ok, so your a cool guy and don't want to blow people up, but there may be others that have malicious intent on their mind and this could be used for evil purposes.

Long range transmitter that is capable of triggering explosives. That says it all....

shyronnie

Nov 1, 2011
For the exact reasons you post is also a very good reason why anyone here will not be to willing to help. Ok, so your a cool guy and don't want to blow people up, but there may be others that have malicious intent on their mind and this could be used for evil purposes.

Long range transmitter that is capable of triggering explosives. That says it all....

I could also lie, and say that it is for triggering lights and chargers etc. but the fact that it will be used to trigger explosives does not change anything with the design. It is much safer to trigger explosives electronically than with a fuse.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I could also lie, and say that it is for triggering lights and chargers etc. but the fact that it will be used to trigger explosives does not change anything with the design. It is much safer to trigger explosives electronically than with a fuse.

so you are comfortable with us telling you how to remote detonate a bomb? What happens if your sons sociopath classmate reads this thread and next week you attend a funeral, still think it is a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.