Connect with us

How to lower voltage of frequency signal

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by chinna723, Jun 15, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. chinna723

chinna723

Mar 17, 2020
    Hi,

I have a speed sensor which gives a frequency output signal with voltage 12V. But my controller frequency input pin configuration has 0-5V range. To connect the speed sensor to my controller input, I have to lower the speed sensor frequency signal from 0-12V to 0-5V . How can I do that ? If I use the voltage divider, does it distort the signal ?

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Not if well constructed. A resistive divider is the perfect choice.

3. Wollowstone

Wollowstone

Mar 26, 2018
    A static voltage divider is nice, but the involved resistances have to be small, so that the "equivalent resistance" of whatever you add in parallel to one of the resistor appears "big" (1000 times, or higher), but that may draw a lot of current, if not too much, from the original source (sensor, whatever). As example, if your divider is two resistors of 1k, then if you add a circuit worth of 100 ohm in parallel to the second resistor, you end up with 1000 + ( 1000 // 100 ) == 1000 + 90 not dividing the initial voltage by two anymore.

You can check the paper scea062a.pdf, at ti.com, for a short comparison with some dynamic solutions alternatives, including one of their specialized IC.

4. bertus

bertus Moderator

Nov 8, 2019

Attached Files:

Ask a Question