Connect with us

How to learn PCB components repair

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Victor43, Jun 3, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Victor43

Victor43

Aug 31, 2011
    Hello all.

I would like to know how to go about learning how to repair the many facet parts of a PC motherboard. I would like to learn how to repair other types of electronic PCBs and not just PC motherboards. So would anyone know how I could learn to repair just about any part (active, passive and chips) of a motherboard ? What kind of tools (i.e retooling station or soldering gun) or equipment (i.e. magnifying glass, oscilloscope) would be needed and how can I gain some practice ? Would there be any good books perhaps I could read or online websites that give tutorials and videos on how to repair just about any component of a motherboard ? Like I said I am a newbie to any kind of electronic repair and have no engineering or electronic degree or background. I have started to read some online sites on how electronics work and how to identify some of the various parts.

This is all very new to me but would like to take this on as a hobby.

Thanks to all

2. Victor43

Victor43

Aug 31, 2011
    How to learn to read schematics

Hello all.

I am new to electronics and have no background training or education. I have been reading some material on electronics and find it very interesting.

Right now I would like to know if anyone could suggest a good book for someone who has very little background in electronics on how to understand PCB schematics. A book that is to follow along and understand for a newbie like me.

Any comments or other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi victor
    welcome to the forums :)

well before you start running, you need to learn to crawl and then walk
    you need to start right at the start with the electronics basics. look for a technical college local to you that offers maybe night courses over a year that will give you good grounding in electronic principles etc

after some time at that experimenting and building basic and slowly moving onto more advanced circuits you will gain the experience in fault finding etc

BTW .... motherboards are not usually repaired these days, its not worth the time and effort ... cheaper to buy a new one

Dave

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    victor I have merged your 2 posts as they were basically on the same topic

cheers
    Dave

5. Victor43

Victor43

Aug 31, 2011
    Many thanks Dave for your reply. Yes that is what I was thinking in taking a course in electronics in a night class or at the college level. Good idea. In the mean time if you know of any good beginners book on this topic please let me know. Thanks. again.

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    there are great tutorials on this forum

see the Tutorial dropdown menu near the top of every page
    there's teaching stuff in there that will keep you amused for many months :)

Dave

7. Victor43

Victor43

Aug 31, 2011
    Thanks again Dave.

8. garyson0

garyson0

Jun 5, 2013
    My suggestion is, you better go & join some tutorial & training center to learn.

9. Victor43

Victor43

Aug 31, 2011
    Thanks I will do exactly that. Thanks again.

Ask a Question