Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to keep a pc monitor on with out any connection

Platoonof1

Mar 2, 2021
is there a way to keep a pc monitor on with out having any connections besides ac by putting a resistor or voltage or shorting out 2 pins on the vga or hdmi . I have several Hp z32 monitors with cracked screens and I'm removing the lcd and wanting to use them for shop lights and make lit signs but they won't stay on with out a computer can some one tell me how to short a wire inside on the power supply or via the plug connections how I could wire it to stay on full time when power is applied to them I have several monitors curved and several different Z series and finding replacement screens doesn't seem to be a option and if some one needs the boards for a repair I would gladly send for a working response to my question sincerely carl l fuller [email protected]

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
There are ways to do this but can be different for many monitors.
I don’t know whether your suggestions would work as there still wouldn’t be any signal.
The easiest way I think would be to find the power supply for the inverter board. Then power the inverter board directly from the monitors power supply.
This can be high voltage and care should be taken. Not advisable if you are not familiar with such voltages or probing around inside.

Martin

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The inverter board will usually have an "enable" signal to turn on the backlight. That part is easy.

However, without a signal, the LCD will be opaque. The "easy" answer is to remove the LCD panel, leaving all the other layers of the screen intact. You'll probably end up with a kinda floppy screen, as the LCD panel is likely the most rigid part. I guess you could replace it with a thin layer of rigid clear plastic (maybe 1mm or 2mm clear acrylic).