Connect with us

How to hook up a 2 wire thermostat

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by computer-joe, Dec 16, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. computer-joe

computer-joe

Oct 6, 2016
    I have an old thermostat which i want to replace, but i don't understand exactly how it's supposed to be done.
    It's a simple baseboard heater with no fan, air conditioning or anything fancy

It only has 2 wires, and the instructions are no good
    it was supposed to be simple but turned difficult in minutes

Where exactly are these wires supposed to go

old thermo wiring
    20171215_185215.jpg

Thermo
    20171215_191613.jpg

Instructions
    instruct.png

i also have a second thermostat which i did not succeed to install it,
    20171215_191639.jpg

instructions
    th2.png

why oh why is this so hard

does anyone know exactly how i am supposed to hook these up??

2. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    The original thermostat is meant to interrupt maaany Amperes at the current the baseboard heater element consumes in series to it. Works/rated usually on 230VAC

The replacement thermostats shown are wimpy ones meant to signal 24V relays inside an airconditioner/furnace/fan unit to turn on/off.

Wrong device for your needs. If you hook it up, will leak its smoke. For sure.

Rayregula likes this.
  3. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    Check the plastic nut connectors have healthy, clean, tight splices inside, at both ends of the heater assembly before replacing thermostat. Diagnose, probe for continuity at the existing thermostat and voltage supply presence. It usually is :

ACphase1circuit breaker-----x----thermostat-----x------heater element-----x-----circuitbreaker2ACphase2

x= splice/joint/connector

Listen for a 'click' when turning knob.

----> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=baseboard+thermostat&t=canonical&iax=images&ia=images

----> http://www.homerepairforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1987&d=1348147051

Be careful touching live wires, will give you the giggles. Work safely.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
Ask a Question