Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to have a single switch to open/close several lines at the same time

Emam

Jul 7, 2014
Dear all,
I would like to know if some one knows about a switch or a relay allowing to open/close several (precisely 18 contact line) at the same time?
In fact, I want to have a single button to control all at the same time (if I press the button, 18 lines should become closed or opened).
I can not use 18 seperate relays (or switches) because this take lots of place and is expensive for me. I have a small PCB and relays are usually big in dimensions.
Maybe with transistors, but i need also 18, right?
Many thanks

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
What are these "contact lines" carrying? Is it high voltages? Low voltages? Signals? What kind?

You can get relays with as many as four changeover contacts; beyond that, the prices start to go crazy. Your cheapest option would be nine DPDT relays. These are available in pretty small packages, including SMT. What is your size constraint, in square millimetres, and maximum height?

Emam

Jul 7, 2014
Thank you very much.
These contact lines carry a power of 14 W but only for few miliseconds (7V, 2A, 1-2 ms).

The problem is that I would like to have a single button to control them (for easy using). So DPDT switches are good idea, but I should close them one by one to close the whole set, yes?
The maximum size of PCB I can have is 200 mm x 200 mm.
But in fact I want to have severals of these PCBs, and the price increase with relays...

Again many thanks

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thank you very much.
These contact lines carry a power of 14 W but only for few miliseconds (7V, 2A, 1-2 ms).

The problem is that I would like to have a single button to control them (for easy using). So DPDT switches are good idea, but I should close them one by one to close the whole set, yes?
The maximum size of PCB I can have is 200 mm x 200 mm.
But in fact I want to have severals of these PCBs, and the price increase with relays...

Again many thanks
Does this mean that the relay will only trigger the lines for 1-2ms, or that once the relays have switched over, the signal passing through is only a pulse of 1-2 ms long?
This does make a difference, as you may need a relay with a higher switching speed. (on and off)

Emam

Jul 7, 2014
No the relays should be closed when I press the button, then the signals can travel for 1-2 ms through the lines.
I would say that the speed of the relays is not important for me. I only want to close them to let the signals pass through...
Bests regards

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
I don't know if any of these would be useable and cost effective;

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=202783 110162873&locale=en_UK&appliedparametrics=true&getResults=true&originalQueryURL=/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=202783&No=0&getResults=true&appliedparametrics=true&locale=en_UK&divisionLocale=en_UK&catalogId=&skipManufacturer=false&skipParametricAttributeId=&prevNValues=202783

.. you might be able to use 3 x 6PST relays? These are the biggest number of contacts I can find in one relay at Farnell.

You might need more actually since most of these relays insist on at least 1 or 2 of the poles being opposite normality, to the others

Did find one with a larger number of contacts but it was about £600. yikes!

Last edited:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Emam, is the signal an AC signal, or pulsed DC?

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Why don't you just explain the whole project. What are these signals used for? Why do you want to switch them? What's the whole project about?

Really, you wouldn't ask a friend to solve a jigsaw puzzle for you by showing them a picture of just a few of the pieces, would you? Why keep us in the dark? Full disclosure man!