Connect with us

how to dim high beam of my car

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by kapazo, Feb 21, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. kapazo

kapazo

Feb 21, 2014
    Hello guys. I am thinking to use my high beams as drl light. Searching the internet i found on ebay a pwm controller but it is mentioned as pwm motor controller. will this be able to dim my car bulbs in order to be able to be used as drl? any better ideas? Of caurse i dont want to lose the full brightness abillity of my bulbs.

2. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    The light pattern of high beam vs low beam is very different. Low beam (which is what you want to use your high beam for I think) has a legal requirement to cut off light above a certain angle, which is higher on the one side than the other side. So even if you implement a dimmer, you would still be illegal.

There are dual filemant headlight bulbs available, but they are intended to be used with reflectors and lenses that were designed for them, providing both low and high beam legally.

I suggest you check the legal requirements regarding headlights in your country. They are quite strict as they don't want other road users to be blinded.

A better solution will be to upgrade your existing low beam with modern Xenon lights as these will improve your night vision, remain legal and not blind other drivers.

3. kapazo

kapazo

Feb 21, 2014
    i already have hid at my low beams. but i want a drl also. so i dont think that my high beams at 40% of the power would blind the others.

4. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    Yes they will which is why the 'cutoff' law applies. There is no 'grey' area regarding this.

5. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    hey kapazo... just to clarify you in England too? ahuumifan50 is from there and is advising on the laws from that country. if not you will have to check what is acceptable by your local governing agency for transport.
    as stated the PWM will not work but with some ingenuity you could make a new reflector and put it at a lower angle so as to not affect other drivers. if this is a visibility issue than you can try other solutions. Xenon lights are one that shumifan suggested, but here in Australia there is a grey area about lighting. HID which I love like you cannot believe cannot be put into a car that didn't have them at the time of manufacture. also we have laws governing light colour and supposedly blue and red light tinges are a no go (however I have never seen any one fined for this but police tell me all the time I can't do it on a work vehicle)
    Once again depending on your country there are laws governing transport vehicles and you really should check into them as you don't want to cop a fine after spending money on this.

6. kapazo

kapazo

Feb 21, 2014
    no i am from greece.anyway since there isnt a way to dim my high beam bulbs i might think something else to to do as a drl. (i dont like ledstripes etc i want a clean fatory look) thank you guys

Ask a Question