Connect with us

How to determine voltage on transformer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by seanspotatobusiness, Feb 5, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
    I have what I think is a transformer and I've got mains voltage going in at the top of the image and I'm trying to measure the voltage that I get from the bottom of the image with a DMM set to 500 V AC. The top resistor is 33K and the bottom resistor is 20R. When I apply mains voltage to this circuit I get a reading of 0 V on the DMM but I'm expecting some value much higher than 0 V. Have I set it up wrong? Is this thing not a transformer?

IyAy4qU.jpg

[Mod Note -- image resized]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2017
  2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    1) what is wrong is that this isn't a mains power transformer ... it isn't even a transformer
    it's a dual filter inductor that usually will have a couple of high voltage capacitors associated with it

if it wasn't for your resistors ... you would have had a big bang, a cloud of smoke and a shower of sparks

Better smps-schematic.JPG

2) .... on another note .... can you please resize images before uploading or linking to them
    this one was huge ... I have resized it to a max of 1000 pixels on the longest side

CDRIVE and seanspotatobusiness like this.
  3. seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
    Sorry; I thought the forum software automatically limited the size of the image.

Thanks for the information!

davenn likes this.
Ask a Question