Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to design a 30V DC to 200-300V DC (adjustable) inverter ??

Samarth

Feb 14, 2012
I need 200-300 VDC power supply for my project....
I could not find any circuit for the same...
I found only voltage doubler circuit......

How can I design the same.....??

So please help...

Samarth

Feb 14, 2012
Dear Harald Kapp,

Thanks for prompt reply....

But I want to design it using 30 VDC......

While I was searching for the circuit..I came across the circuit you have mentioned.....

Thanks for your reply.....

Samarth.

Samarth

Feb 14, 2012
Can you please tell me how to do it from DC (I mean DC-DC) ????

Please help......

Samarth.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
It would be nice with some more design spec's (power level, efficiency, size, etc.).
I edited your heading so it's makes more sense btw..

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
But why would you need 300V for a photodiode?

Unless perhaps you're testing the reverse breakdown voltage.

So, I'm afraid this still tells us nothing about the power you require, or the efficiency, or the size, or the amount of ripple, or the accuracy of regulation, or... well, almost anything.

Samarth

Feb 14, 2012
Hey Steve,
you are right.I want to use it in reverse bias.

I am designing quenching circuit for APD.

I don't know how to look for other stuff you mentioned.

I just need voltage between 188 to 230 V.

Please help.

Regards,
Samarth.

Samarth

Feb 14, 2012
Dear Herald,

I want to use it after breakdown. and breakdown voltage of C30902s is 219.3 V.

Please help.

Regards,
Samarth.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
What's the use of a photodiode after breakdown?

Harald

Samarth

Feb 14, 2012
Dear Herald,

I am designing an Active Quenching circuit. For that I need operating voltage greater than breakdown voltage.

Regards,
Samarth.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I just need voltage between 188 to 230 V.

Well you also need to know how much current is needed. The wiki states that an Avalanche current gets dropped across a 50 Ohm resistor. It doesn't make sense to drop 300V across a 50 Ohm resistor, but if that is the case then you need 6A. That is huge!

Without more information no one here is gonna be able to help you much. You need to define your requirements.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
From the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-photon_avalanche_diode) I assume you don't need a lot of current. But you also need to terminate the avalanche by reducing the voltage after an avalanche has occured. YOu might be able to use a voltage multiplier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_multiplier). If you design it such that the inner resistance of the multiplier is rather high, the voltage will automatically break down as soon as an avalanche current flows.

Harald

ElectronWorks

Aug 20, 2009
A simple flyback converter should be able to do this. Here is an article on how to design flybacks:
http://www.simonbramble.co.uk/dc_dc_converter_design/dc_dc_converter_design.htm

You can simulate it in LTSpice. Here is a tutorial:
http://www.simonbramble.co.uk/lt_spice/ltspice_lt_spice.htm

The difficult bit is finding a high voltage FET. Check out Infineon. Coilcraft to a multi output transformer. Not sure of the voltage rating, but this might help.

Failing that, Google Royer Oscillators. these are used for generating high voltages

BitHead

Mar 2, 2012
Camera flash bulb (Xenon) circuits generate close to 300V.
Making it variable - find the charging circuits' feedback point and change the resistive divider ratio (with a pot from the FB pin to ground - less R-> higher V.).
30V? Do you mean 'fixed 30V.' or 'variable-and-the-means-by-which-I want-to vary-the 300V?

Samarth

Feb 14, 2012
Dear Harald,

Thanks for reply.

I will be using APD as a photon counting circuit.

Regards,
Samarth.

TedA

Sep 26, 2011
Samarth,

I think the basic E & I information you need is in the data sheet. This is an avalanche device, so it must be biased near the breakdown voltage in order to obtain the rated sensitivity. I found the following in the linked data sheet:

Note that a specific value of VR is supplied with each device. When the photodiode is operated at this voltage, the device will meet the electrical characteristic limits shown above. The voltage value will be within the range of 180 to 250 volts.

Maximum Ratings, Absolute-Maximum Values Reverse Current at 22°C:
Average value, continuous operation 200 μA
Peak value (for 1 second duration, non-repetitive) 1 mA

So the power required for the detector diode is very small, perhaps 60mW, or less. If the associated amplifier circuit draws any current from the HV supply, you will need to add that in.

I imagine that the stability and noise requirements for this supply might be very tight.

If you have a budget, and project deadlines, I believe that such inverters can be purchased off the shelf. You may have to settle for a 24V input one and regulate-down your 30V source to feed the inverter. The output may need some additional filtering. Simple L-C or R-C filters may do the job well enough.

If you are just tinkering, you might start with a CCFL inverter, or at least the transformer from one. Or one from BitHead's camera flash. Each disposable camera has on of these.

The power level is so small, that you could even use a boost converter with a simple inductor, rather than a step-up transformer.

For the do it yourself route, I suggest some research on the Linear Technology and Texas Instruments Semiconductor sites. Both make many power supply controller ICs.

Many of the available controller ICs can be used. If the IC has an integrated power switch device, you can add a discrete common base or common gate transistor to get the voltage you need. Or perhaps, Power Integrations makes a part that would work for you.

Ted