Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to create a magnetizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

thew

Mar 18, 2016
Hi guys, I m trying to replicate this version of a homemade magnetizer in the simplest way:
http://rwgresearch.com/open-projects/10000j-cap-bank/

Basically it consists in a bank of capacitors, but I have some questions he said he use 50 capacitors of 3,300uF and 350V DC, in the images seems connected in parallel and he said it can generates a maximum of 2958 volts with 800 Amps but according with the caps connected in parallel I don't see it possible since if it is connected in parallel the voltage would be the same 350v only the capacitance would be higher, How it is possible?

Also he said, he use a contacter to discharge the capacitors in a very briefly period of time which it can be very dangerous, what it is a contacter? How to discharge the capacitors in a very briefly period of time?

Attachments

• IMG_5785.jpg
    IMG_5785.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 135

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
That is also the basis for a stud welder, the discharge is usually done with a high power SCR.
A contactor is a industrial strength relay and used for that purpose would require a very specialized DC version with arc chutes and arc blow out of some kind.
M..

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The project has nothing to do with magnetism. It simply makes a high voltage, very high current pulse.

thew

Mar 18, 2016
That is also the basis for a stud welder, the discharge is usually done with a high power SCR.
A contactor is a industrial strength relay and used for that purpose would require a very specialized DC version with arc chutes and arc blow out of some kind.
M..
What it is a SCR? it is a silicon controlled rectifier? Can you explain why it is necessary to make the discharge done?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
How it is possible?
He discharged the caps into a step-up transformer.
As for why is it necessary to discharge the caps, what would be the point of charging them if you didn't intend to put them to work?
If you value your life (or the lives of those around you) DON'T replicate this. Judging by the questions you are asking your inexperience could prove FATAL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
What it is a SCR? it is a silicon controlled rectifier? Can you explain why it is necessary to make the discharge done?
Google SCR to find details, it is an electronic switch, that once turned on remains on until voltage has collapsed.
IOW it dumps the charge in one shot.
M.

thew

Mar 18, 2016
Google SCR to find details, it is an electronic switch, that once turned on remains on until voltage has collapsed.
IOW it dumps the charge in one shot.
M.
Yes Minder, I was google SCR and it is defined as silicon controlled rectifier, also I was google IOW but in this case and nothing appears in relation with this, I don't know what it means, anyway I m interested to build it in the simplest way, so for that the only thing that probably I need is the component able to discharge the capacitors in very few time, if really exists that electronic component. You was talking about IOW,if that is the component what it means IWO?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
@thew ... since it is obvious that you really don't know what you are doing .. you shouldn't be playing with such dangerous projects

@Alec_t 's advice is the best advice you can take

thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.