Connect with us

How to Convert uT to w/m2

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by epsolutions, Mar 1, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. epsolutions

epsolutions

Sep 7, 2019
    Is there any way to make a mathematical conversion between watts per square meter to Teslas?

For example, if a 10mW/m2 RF signal was measured at a given surface, how can the magnetic component of the signal be quantified in micro Teslas?

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    not that I'm aware of as they are 2 totally different things
    one is an EM field strength, the other is a magnetic field

Edit
    looks like I may stand corrected ……..

uT = W/m2 / 239 (Micro-Teslas = Watts per square metre divided by 239)

nT = W/m2 / 239,000 (Nano-Teslas = Watts per square metre divided by 239,000)

3. epsolutions

epsolutions

Sep 7, 2019
    I now recall seeing that 239 figure before. It is reflected in the attached chart where 960 W/m2 equals 1.0167 uT

But, as you say, a static magnetic field and an EM signal per surface area are two different phenomena. However, they seem to be subject to correlation somehow. Possibly because EMR has a magnetic vector that can be quantified?

However, I do not understand the "real life" significance.

Can someone please explain according to what physical laws can a force (magnetism) and a different force (EMR) per surface area at an unspecified frequency be equated? I have researched extensively online and can find no definitive answer.

Attached Files:

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    because W/m2 doesn't need to have a specific frequency

(*steve*) likes this.
  5. epsolutions

epsolutions

Sep 7, 2019
    I believe frequency and wave form are related to signal density. That aside, what about the rest of my question?

Ask a Question