Connect with us

How to convert differential signal to signle-ended signal?

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Allen, Apr 9, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Allen

    Allen Guest

    We are testing some wideband (1GHz-8GHz) differential circuits, but
    there is only one channel on our high frequency oscillascope. What
    kind of devices can we use to convert the differential signal to
    signal-ended signal? Can we use a balun or a power conbiner? Thanks.

  2. Winfield

    Winfield Guest

    Are these analog or digital signals? LVDS receiver ICs make
    handy differential-to-signal-ended logic-signal converters.
  3. Ian

    Ian Guest

    If the signals are analog you will have to use a true differential
    probe, and proper fixturing.

  4. joseph2k

    joseph2k Guest

    To correctly measure all parameters you need a two input scope (a 4 input
    scope would be even better, have you considered renting one?), additionally
    a differential probe will help. Otherwise a balun or a 180 degree combiner
    will work for "coarse" measurements.
  5. LVMarc

    LVMarc Guest


    JKK is spot on. The best way is to use a two channel scope to monitor
    and then use the math function to "subtract" the two, therby having the
    scope perform the differential to single ended convesion.

    For part of the band (1-3 GHZ) you can use fast op amps to perform the
    differential to single ended conversion. for the entire 1-8 you also can
    use a wideband 180 hybrid. this acts like a transformer which canbe used
    from 1 MC to 1 gC)

    best regards,

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day