Maker Pro
Maker Pro

how to connect switch to led driver

flor.27.27

Nov 14, 2012
Well here's the problem :

Im trying to make a LED light for my aquarium but my electrical knowledge is poor. I would like to be able to turn them of by using a switch.

The drivers I'm going to use have an output open connection and short circuit protection.
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/110800722230?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649)

I was wondering if i were to connect a switch to them, do I have to connect a switch to the 240 input wires or can i also use u cheaper switch and connect it in series witch my leds in the dc part of the circuit?

I assume the best solution for the live of the driver is to connect one to the ac leads?
But if you connect a switch to ac current, do you only have to disconnect one lead or both leads? ( do I have to use a dpst or a spst switch?)

I know these are very basic questions :eek: but since its 240 v I would like to be sure if i'm doing it right :)

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
You connect the switch to the mains leads in this case, or else the driver will go into fault mode...

You only need to break one of the mains leads, and you can make it dead simple by just using an over the counter power strip that has an on/off switch, or get one of many inline switches you can just plug in...

flor.27.27

Nov 14, 2012
thank you very much for your very fast reply! :)

I know I could simply buy a power strip with an on/off switch, but I am planning to make my own lamp with two drivers for two different colors of leds and I would like to be able to turn them on or off separately.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Make sure the switch you get is rated for the voltage and amps you will be drawing and be careful, mains voltage can be lethal...