Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to connect relay output wirelessly

MartinF

Nov 4, 2012
Hi,

I have CO detector in my kitchen with relay output. In case of alarm, I have to transfer this information to my central linux computer. I'm really amateur regarding electronics.. So the question is, how can I do it wirelessly, 2 possibilities

1) relay -> some device -> wifi -> computer
2) relay -> some device -> some low frequency -> receiver near computer -> ethernet -> computer

Requirements:
- reliability
- some kind of kit is preferred - I'm too old for soldering big DIY solutions ;)
- simple

I know I can do it with something more complex (raspberry) but I would be interested in other easier solutions, as I am going to have more of these kinds of scenario in my appartment in future. Thanks.

Martin

EDIT: May I use something like this - http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Pushbutton ? Does arduino have wifi modules?

Last edited:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
IMO this should be wired not wireless, way too much can go wrong with wireless...

But...

How does the computer have to receive this? Is there existing software that you have to send the proper signal to? Or are you going to write your own computer interface?

There is a recent post on the forum about HID USB I/O board, if this is suitable this will allow you to send the signal into the computer via a USB port...

Now you just have to worry about sending the signal, wired would just be hooking the existing smoke detector to this I/O board...

If you want wireless and the most easy, limited soldering get a single (or double) channel wireless relay board on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-12V-1-...ion_Controls_Touchscreens&hash=item3a771e0864

Just crack that keyfob open and wire the smoke detectors relay to one of the buttons on the remote...

Beware though I don't know if you will get reliable detection at the range you want, way to many variables you really would need to test it in your environment...

Now if you want Ethernet, you will need to use a CPU to do that type of protocol, as it involves a lot more then just sending a signal... You need to join the network, compose and read packets and what not, it's quite a bit more work...

*** Edit yes there are wifi modules for the Arduino, and even example code so you don't have to write the whole stack to use them...

galaxy

Nov 3, 2012
A quick (and a little bit nasty) way to get Wireless connection is to crack open a cheap bluetooth keyboard and directly tap into the matrix encoder. Throw away the actual keyboard part. The small encoder/RX/TX board already has all the communications taken care of and has low power requirements,
Linux makes it pretty easy to have multiple keyboard inputs, so you should be able to whip something up to act upon the keystroke received.

Last edited: