Maker Pro
Maker Pro

how to connect many microcontrollers in the same project?

Annita

Mar 5, 2015
Hello,

My group project consists of several parts.
We are building a hexapod robot that detects landmines and we program live streaming on it. For the live streaming the Raspberry Pi is used and for the hexapod robot and the metal detections the Tiva LaunchPad, Mbed and Basic atom are used.
The hexapod robot needs to be controlled from a web page. A Wi-Fi USB will be connected on the Raspberry Pi to transmit data back to the web page. I am building the web page with HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
I will probably use Apache as a web server and execute Python (for Raspberry Pi) using WSGI (even though I'm not quite sure how to do any of these).
Now, my question is how do we execute the rest of the coding from the rest of the microcontrollers? Should we connect the microcontrolers using SPI and then transmit the data only from the Raspberry Pi? But if we do so, how can we translate the code, since it is written in different languages.
If you have had any experience with similar projects please help.

Thanks a lot!

DaveyD

Mar 5, 2015
Personally, I would write a set of commands that are relative to all controllers, then use i2c, uses less pins than SPI and each device can be addressed individually. There should always be a master, in my opinion, if there is not you could set up a master parser such as an Arduino. Not sure what you mean by translate the code. You can write the program in any language, providing your MCU supports Two-wire comms, commonly known as i2c, or use SPI if you prefer.

Annita

Mar 5, 2015
Personally, I would write a set of commands that are relative to all controllers, then use i2c, uses less pins than SPI and each device can be addressed individually. There should always be a master, in my opinion, if there is not you could set up a master parser such as an Arduino. Not sure what you mean by translate the code. You can write the program in any language, providing your MCU supports Two-wire comms, commonly known as i2c, or use SPI if you prefer.
Thank you DaveyD for replying! Either SPI or I2C is going to be used for sure. But what about the web page? how am I going to transfer the data ?