Maker Pro
Maker Pro

how to connect light indicator

rajesh

Oct 30, 2012
I have a electric water heater (geyser) in India, but the two light indicator(one for power and other for heating) are burnt out and they were therefore removed and the wire were black taped.

Those indicator connecting wire were placed parallel.

I want to put back the indicator with neon lamp indicator but since they were removed I couldn't know if there were any resistor connected with the indicator.

Can I use any neon lamp indicator and appropriate resistor.

If I am right, the parallel connection will increase the current through the load(water heater).

So how to connect the indicator and resistor.

Water heater specification

230 v, 50 hz
input 2kw , capacity - 15 lit

Thanks.

Attachments

• Water-Geyser-of-India-in-Hotel.jpg
    Water-Geyser-of-India-in-Hotel.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 327

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Neon indicators usually go black rather than burn out.

The small neon bulbs need a resistor in series, 270k or so. The higher the resistance, the less light but the longer they will last.
Some neon bulbs come with a resistor built in, these will be labelled 250V.
One should be connected across the power input and the other across the heater.

The power consumption of the neons is minimal and will not affect the operation.

rajesh

Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

I used a small neon bulb that has built in resistor of 82k in series(i checked with multimeter, color gray-red-orange) across the power input. But it didn't glow. I had checked the wire hanging across the power input for connectivity also. The light glows well when I put directly on the wall-plug.

Whats wrong, should i remove the resistor, or what resistor should i use.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
You should not remove the resistor and if the bulb is designed for the voltage that you have the value should be OK. If you have bought a bulb for 110V, then the resistor should be at least doubled.

If the bulb lights when connected directly to the mains, it is working. If it does not light elsewhere, then it is either not connected properly or there is no power there.

A neon needs about 90V to strike.

rajesh

Oct 30, 2012
I have attached the connection.

I don't know I am not getting current at D, when the geyser is on. But the water is heating. I am getting current at C when it is heating and no current when the heating is off.

I have connected power indicator at G & H and thermostat heating indicator at C & D and I do not get any light indication.

I am connecting neon indicator and resistor (82K) in series. Power supply is 220 V.

Thanks.

Attachments

• geyser.png
    geyser.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,005

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Power in, Fand G
Heater on F and E

The thermal overload has a wire going in and nothing comming out. Does the heater work?

rajesh

Oct 30, 2012
Thanks you very much for the reply.

Now, the heater is not working at all. It showing no current at C, sometimes it show but for few moments only, I suspect the temp regulator set to low as I have tempered it many times while removing & fitting the cover. I corrected but now its showing no current at all.

I had to call the service center, lets see.

rajesh

Oct 30, 2012
For the indicator light it has wires at G&H and C& D only.