Connect with us

How to connect audio to baby monitor bypassing mic?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Geeman2000, Jul 22, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Geeman2000

Geeman2000

Jul 22, 2015
    Hi All,
    I have a Raspberry Pi configured to audibly enunciate movement around my property from outputs of reed switches and ir beams. I want to use a wireless audio baby monitor as a portable speaker.

So I want to direct wire the audio output from the RPi into the listening module of the baby monitor via the microphone wires.

Should I just direct connect or is some circuitry required?

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    The voltage level of a mcirophone is much lower than that of a raspberyy's output. You need to attenuate the signal e.g. using a resistive voltage divider. As I don't know the mic's level, I can only giess, but an attenuation of 1/1000 or higher should be necessary.

You can achieve this by using a 100kΩ resistor and a 100Ω resistor in series, 100kΩ to the raspberyy's output, 100Ω to ground. Use a capacitor to decouple any remaining DC component. See this schematic:

[​IMG]

Use a potentiometer instead of the 100Ω resistor if the level is still too high and the audio is distorted. Adjust the potentimeter until the distortion is minimal.

Attached Files:

3. Geeman2000

Geeman2000

Jul 22, 2015
    Thanks for the reply, I'll try it later today.

Ask a Question