Connect with us

How to clean oxidized USB plug?

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by NVZN, Jun 16, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. NVZN

NVZN

Dec 17, 2016
    How to clean it? I tried to use alcohol 70%, no avail. Only cleans a bit.

Using vinegar? Or?

IMG-20200616-174011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2020
  2. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    How did it happen? Prevention seems important.

A mildly abrasive metal polish should do the trick, for example brasso (but I would try toothpaste first if you have no metal polish), but that is just a ground (and not strictly needed for USB function since there is another pin 4 ground on the contacts), so if it won't work you probably have a different problem.

3. bertus

bertus Moderator

Nov 8, 2019
    Martaine2005 likes this.
  4. NVZN

NVZN

Dec 17, 2016
    I left this sitting on a shelf for 6 months. And they got oxidized like that..
    Toothpaste? Just apply it to oxidized area? Leave it or brush it with toothbrush?

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Brush.
    Toothpaste contains micro abrasive particles to clean teeth, works equally well with many other surfaces.

6. antrowe07

antrowe07

Aug 30, 2019
    I've found a medium stiffness BRASS wire brush with the toothpaste works best for me. If it's too narrow for a wire brush maybe a ladies emory board,like they use to file their nails.

7. WHONOES

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
    I have used a Fibreglass bristle cleaning pen in the past to clean contacts. It works really well. Was surprised to see that they are still available. Amazon have some as do RS Components and Hobbycraft.

8. dave9

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
    Keep in mind that the contacts themselves are normally gold plated and that plating will be damaged by most abrasive cleaning options, and being gold, shouldn't have oxidized itself so should be more of a fluid suspension cleaning process.

narkeleptk likes this.
Ask a Question